[shadow-support] clarification on arguments to enable deterministic simulation

Giang Nguyen cauthu at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 14:44:35 CDT 2016

Hi,

I see in the FAQ that using "--cpu-threshold=-1" makes simulation
deterministic. But I notice this from --help-all:

  --cpu-precision=TIME                round measured CPU delays to the
nearest TIME, in microseconds (negative value to disable fuzzy CPU delays)
[200]
  --cpu-threshold=TIME                TIME delay threshold after which the
CPU becomes blocked, in microseconds (negative value to disable CPU delays)
(experimental!) [-1]

So I have two questions:

1) I think "--cpu-threshold" has been around since at least 2014; is it
really still experimental, or is that just a typo?

2) Seems like I also should use "--cpu-threshold" with a negative value to
get determinism? If so which value is reasonable? Any negative value?

Thanks!